Friday, March 12, 2010

Government Stupidity (Redundant, I Know)

Today I found a link to www.broadband.gov, where you can find a new speed test tool for broadband connections.  I thought it might be interesting to play with it, so I ran the test.

And my browser hung using 100% of my CPU during the latency test.

After killing Firefox off I went and read the fine print: 

Users are randomly assigned the Ookla or M-Lab application.

Note: the M-Lab application currently does not work with Safari, Chrome, and Opera web browsers.


That's right.  Our beloved feds are randomly assigning a speed test application, but one of the two possibilities only works with IE.

Excuse me?  Why would you even do that?  What sort of idiot let that go live?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments made on this blog are moderated by the blog's author, and he's a bit busy, so it may take a bit of time for him to approve your comment. Please be patient. He will get to it. Thank you!