Thursday, March 18, 2010

An Awful Malaise

I seem to be suffering from a serious case of, well, something that makes me incapable of doing much of anything.  It's all mental, I know.  I have a long list of things to work on but am completely unmotivated.

Two nights in a row I've been up at odd hours, and I suppose that might have something to do with it.  Tuesday night it was a dog waking me up.  Twice.  Last night the dogs were fine, but I still woke up at 2am and was mostly awake until at least 4am.  I don't know why.

Maybe part of it is still lingering muck from the time change.  Daylight savings time is a bad idea in my opinion, and as I get older the adjustment gets harder.

Maybe some of it is leftover stress from events a couple of weeks ago.  There certainly was (and to some extent still is) plenty of stress to go around.  The death of a family member is never easy to handle.

Maybe it's waiting for the contractor to get back to us on remodeling issues, and getting our permits with the county straightened out.  Add the cost of the (much needed) remodel the the pile as well.

Perhaps some of it is watching quite a few of my friends struggle to find work in the current environment.  These are good people - I've worked with and trusted them for many years - who can't yet find jobs, some since November when we were layed off.

In any case, whatever the cause - or causes - the last few days have not been fun, and I feel a bit like a beached whale waiting for the tide to come in and hoping it happens before I bake to death in the sun.