Monday, October 2, 2017

Amusing photos

Here are a few pictures I've collected. I find them amusing.


This is the line at the Tim Horton's at Langara College early in the morning, around 8 am. This isn't even a "real" Tim Horton's, since they don't sell any hot food, just coffee related beverages and pastries clearly baked in some other location. It is pretty much always jammed, and what you can't see is the cattle pen inside the cafeteria there on the right where the line continues.

While I am happy to support Tim Horton's, I can't bring myself to stand in that line, so I skip coffee in the mornings at school.

Also, for the curious, there is a Starbucks in another building. It, too, has a line, but it is a fair bit more expensive and it's line is generally a bit shorter.

And, oddly, there is a Subway on campus too, but despite signage saying they sell breakfast sandwiches, they don't open until 10 am. What is the point of that? When I want eggs and bread in the morning, I'll want it well before then, thank you.

Next up:


That's a display in the 'A' building on campus at something before 8 am. I find it interesting that we're touting our "green thinking" and "energy management" by leaving a giant computer monitor on all night. I'm not sure if the lights in the display case are on all night too, but it's a good bet that monitor never gets turned off. Someone didn't get the memo.

And then:


That's a sign in a drugstore, somewhere in California. Somehow all three of those things seem related to me.

And finally:

That's a barricade put up by Santa Cruz County sometime in the winter of 2015/16, after a tree had fallen across our road and then been cleared. They dumped the big chunks into the ditch and put up that barricade to keep cars from hitting them. And then they forgot about it. For a year.


As the winter (and rainy season) of 2016/17 was approaching and nothing had been done about that mess, some local wag put up the sign reading "When Hell Freezes Over!!" and left it that way. I honestly have no clue who did that, and I laughed about it for a while. Then I emailed a copy of that photo to the county and suggested nicely that they might clean up last year's mess before there was a new mess this year. And, amazingly, they did so. But I still appreciate the sense of humor of whoever put up that sign.