Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What Has Jeff Been Doing?

Here are two images. That do they have to do with each other?

The first:


The second:

Ignore the colors being screwed up in the second image. The flash was on and I didn't get a shot without it. It's the content that matters in any case.

So... how do those images relate?

<Insert Jeopardy "waiting for an answer" theme here while people scribble frantically on cards. Or something.>

OK! Time's up! Here's the answer, but it's not phrased as a question.

The first is an image of the tools used by an oral surgeon. I had a tooth removed and an implant stuffed into my jaw to replace it.  (Note the covered hypodermic needle on the right edge of the image, in particular, if you doubt me.)

The second is of the flowers sent to my home by the oral surgeon and the dentist, thanking me for letting them treat me. Really. That's what the card said.

In response I have a couple of questions:
  • Am I spending too much for my dental care?
  • Are these guys hoping to get me back to replace more of my (admittedly bad) teeth?
  • Should I go looking for a cheaper provider?
Enquiring minds want to know. Oh, and since I know at least a couple of people will ask...
  • Yes, the surgery went fine. No real pain, no swelling, no bruising, etc.
  • The implant has to sit for 3 months before they can install the peg and the fake tooth.
  • I've had bad teeth ever since I had braces as a kid, as far as I know. Correlation appears to be a fact between braces and gum recession and bone loss, at least in some cases, but causation isn't clear.
And yes, I have a number of other teeth that are poorly attached and will probably give out sooner or later. If my oral surgeon and/or dentist have kids of the right age, I may well be paying for their college education during this process.

Finally, always remember: Teeth suck. Jeff's teeth suck absolutely.