Saturday, November 14, 2009

So many little things change...

One of my former coworkers said something like the following yesterday: "Changing all of my contacts from 'co-worker' to 'former co-worker' is a drag." He's right, but that's just the beginning.

There are so many little things that need revision when you change jobs. In my case it extends to odd things. I had all kinds of bookmarks in my web browser for work related sites. Those can go. I moved my websites from my employer to another hosting provider, which means all kinds of things change.

My morning rituals change too. Until Friday morning I got up and logged in to work to see if anything needed my attention immediately. Then I went off and got ready for work. It's very different now, of course.

None of these things is a big deal all by itself, but they add up to something that I can imagine being depressing. I'll be fine. I wanted out, in fact, but my exit was actually involuntary. (About 1/3rd of a very small staff that had already seen significant reductions in size through attrition was let go. The implications of that are ugly for those left behind.) Still, the fact that I was let go, rather than choosing to leave on my own, gives some things an odd twist.

In any case, Now when I sit down in front of the computer my tasking is very different. In a week or two it will all feel natural again, I'm sure, but it's still a bit off.

3 comments:

  1. Somehow a RIF feels different than walking out under your own timing, even if you have volunteered, prepared yourself and even expect and wish it to happen. The first RIF I experienced was in 1983 and in fact I had spent several months involved in a huge manufacturing RIF as part of HR and we knew eventually we would go too. Leaving on a Friday, unsure of how to face the world unemployed in Monday, it was a most surreal weekend. Even tho I had interviews lined up by late Monday and an offer on the table mid week, I never forgot that "kicked in the teeth" feeling.

    I also didn't leave with a nice big parachute to fund a sailboat named RIF'd like some folks did. RIFs feel worse to those of us somewhat lower on the food chain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, though I don't quite feel like I was kicked in the gut. More like something I cared about was stolen, but that may just be me.

    No big parachute here either. My former employer's packages are stingy at best. Having only been there a few days past my one year anniversary, I got the absolute minimum.

    Still, new beginnings are a good thing, and I plan on making the most of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is a sad but different result, of an organization imploding. Very painful to watch, either as a part of or as a former member. Having also once worked with a remarkably talented team that was discarded and destroyed for massively stupid reasons, the dismay felt is at the waste of talent and effort for all the wrong reasons.

    You will recognize the newly opened possibilities as they reveal themselves.

    ReplyDelete

All comments made on this blog are moderated by the blog's author, and he's a bit busy, so it may take a bit of time for him to approve your comment. Please be patient. He will get to it. Thank you!