Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Conversation You Don't Want To Have

Paraphrased a bit, but more or less accurate, and the gist is definitely real:
Hey Jeff.

Hey Name.

You have a pickup, right?

Yeah.

Any chance I could borrow it?

Uh, sure, but when? I've got some commitments and...

This afternoon?

Well, I'm using it right now, but maybe when I am done. What's up?

I've gotta pack up all my stuff and get it into storage.

You're moving?

Yeah, but I don't know where I'm going yet.
I am not making this up. Someone I know is moving out - with no place to go - thanks to the economy and the loss of a job some time ago.

I'm hearing noise about how things may be bottoming out. I sure hope so. This sort of thing is getting really depressing.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope all works out for them. Nobody should ever have to be homeless in a nation as wealthy as ours, yet the tent cities just keep getting bigger.

    It's stories like this that have me nagging my wife to do everything we can to get our house paid for. I keep telling people, it isn't an investment, it's our *shelter*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, bummer. I hope your friend lands someplace acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both. Time will tell what happens in this specific case.

    ReplyDelete

All comments made on this blog are moderated by the blog's author, and he's a bit busy, so it may take a bit of time for him to approve your comment. Please be patient. He will get to it. Thank you!