Sunday, March 22, 2009

Living With New Glasses

This is an interesting change in my life. I've had reading glasses before - that I used when working on computers, mostly - but not glasses that I've worn all the time. Making the adjustment is not as simple as I'd like.

I was told that these new glasses would make driving at night easier, and - so far - perhaps they do reduce eye strain from oncoming headlights, but they also give me lots of "spikes" from bright point sources that I find irritating.

Certain lighting conditions seem to result in light bouncing off the edges of the lenses and give things a slightly foggy look, too. I noted this most strongly while watching a concert last night. Depending on the angle I held my head at, the light off the stage caused the issue. But, of course, looking at the lenses directly against a uniformly colored background shows they are perfectly clear.

Condensation and rain clearly don't mix well with glasses either, and I've already experienced both of those, though not to any huge degree yet.

The most irritating thing, though, as to be learning to turn my head instead of just moving my eyes. The "sweet spot" with these lenses isn't always in the right place, particularly when I am reading. I find that I have to adjust the position of the book because my head can't comfortably point any farther down.

It's while reading that I am doing most of my experiments with what is and isn't in focus, and I'm wondering a little bit about that too. Sometimes, while reading I think that one eye - generally the left - is in focus, while the other is slightly out of whack. I move things around - head, eyes, reading material - and play games. (Close one eye, bring the reading material into focus with the open eye by moving reading material and/or head around. Switch to the other eye being open and see if things are in focus for it, doing the best I can not to move during the process.) I wish I had something conclusive on this issue, but I don't yet. Just an odd feeling that things might not be quite right, but it could just as easily be that I'm not yet adjusted to how to hold my head while using these new glasses.

I'm sure I'll work this out eventually, but it gives me new appreciation for the difficulties of full time lens wearers.

6 comments:

  1. I used to wear glasses. Then I had LASIK and no more glasses. That was the best money I ever spent on myself, hands-down.

    Now I'm getting older and I'm probably going to need glasses in another year or so, both for reading and distance. But I've been resisting it.

    Your post reminds me of why I always hated wearing glasses.

    Have you discovered how much fun it is to exercise hard while wearing glasses? (Hint: it's not fun at all....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with glasses and exercise yet. For the moment, I will avoid it too, since I can do most everything without them. At some point, though, things will change, and I'll have to deal with it. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I missed my chance to get LASIK in my mid-30s. mostly because my then ophthalmologist suggested that my above-average dilation might require advanced LASIK equipment, then still under FDA testing. Now that I'm dealing with age-related farsightedness as well as extreme nearsightedness and astigmatism, I'm going to wait another year or two for the ole' eyeballs to settle down. Again.

    2. You might consider using black, dry-erase marker to cover the edges of your lenses and see if that reduces flare from internal reflections. I'd suggest matte nail polish, but you'd need to make sure that the polish remover doesn't do anything to the lens or any special coating you have.

    3. Re: sports & glasses
    Two words: prescription goggles. You'll look dorky, but still be able to see fine after getting a headshot from an epee. I know whereof I speak, sir. Also, the goggles don't need to have their prescription updated nearly as often as daily-wear glasses. Unless you get into the dorky look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I'm sorry you missed the boat on LASIK. It's not really an option for me as far as I know. I'm mostly dealing with age related farsightedness and astigmatism now too. Nothing too bad, and (in fact) I can get by without glasses entirely in all cases, though hours of computer work without them may cause a headache.

    As for edge treatments, I'm out of luck. To minimize weight I buy the lightest glasses possible: titanium ear pieces and nose piece attached to lenses. No frame around the lenses themselves at all. Very light, but it also means no ability to do anything to the edges of the lenses without it being very obvious. Oh well.

    I am adapting as best I can, and the sports goggles will be a necessity someday. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If possible, you should try contacts. They don't fog up, there's no "blind spot", and they're even lighter than glasses. I have astigmatism in one eye, and it's also much easier to correct with contacts than with glasses. If you aren't completely averse to touching your own eye, go for the "hard" contacts - they last longer and I've heard that they're better for your eye (although that's just hearsay). The "soft" contacts are a little easier to take in and out, but you have to replace them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could use contacts, but I'm one of those delicate souls who has trouble even putting eye drops into his eyes. Sticking my finger into my eyes regularly just sounds like a bad idea to me.

    Still, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe someday I'll be able to use them. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete

All comments made on this blog are moderated by the blog's author, and he's a bit busy, so it may take a bit of time for him to approve your comment. Please be patient. He will get to it. Thank you!