Monday, August 19, 2013

Revisiting Alien In A Different Way

I don't want to over-share, but I have a better appreciation for what happened to Executive Officer Kane - played by John Hurt - in Alien, just before the beastie popped out of his chest in that iconic scene.

I spent Sunday (starting at 4:45am) wondering if the same thing was going to happen to me.  By bedtime, whatever it was had passed, with nothing more than occasional - if semi-painful - discomfort.

I wish I knew what it was.  Maybe it was mild food poisoning, maybe it was a mild food intolerance, maybe it was an alien foetus, incubating within me, but that died for some reason before piercing my chest.  If that latter is what was going on, then I hope the old phrase "this too shall pass" is true.

I suppose said alien infant could still be in there, lulling me into a false sense of security before killing me in a spectacular fashion, but I doubt it.

Whatever, I am glad it's over now.  It was an awful day spent doing absolutely nothing.  I felt like a slug.